Charlie Bacon's Quarts

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Charlie Bacon's Quarts

Post by menke »

The bulk of Charlie Bacon's quarts go off next Saturday:

https://auctions.cansmartbeercans.com/c ... ctionid=60

Aside from rough but absolutely killer labels you never see, quality indoor/offgrade examples of mid-level quarts, and scads of unpictured variations, there are THESE cans:

#208 Sunshine Extra Light Actual Book Can
#178 Hohenadel Beer IRTP- sick variation
#204 Esslinger Premium Beer - Crown Can w/ Cone Top on Tray
#152 Neuweiler Cream Ale pre-IRTP
# BOTH brown Krueger Beers from Wilmington

Strings of alcohol statement variations no one has, dull grays, prewar/postwar pairs, not-quite-lookalike can company variants, and brand lineups that make your head spin amid a breadth betrayed by anything less than a long, hard look. Set the male gaze here for a minute.

Don’t let them slip under your radar… a few of them will not be available again in this lifetime.

And then of course, there are can plant number variations and seam teeth variations that I’m not aware anyone else was keeping tabs on. Puncher’s chances on Canadian Ace woodgrain shades. Early Crown and Continental quarts had fewer seam teeth than their late 30’s brothers… I could go on like this for a while at any urban street corner.

Anyway, please remember the family and have a look through the listings for cans you need. Free pickup is available at Spring Thaw just two weeks after the auction.

Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Re: Charlie Bacon's Quarts

Post by menke »

Just a quick reminder to 'Save Money, Buy in Bulk!' tomorrow morning in Charlie Bacon's Quartopia at Cansmart Auctions. Free pickup at the show, the Handy Way to Order, and nowhere else can you add scores of new quarts for your shelves all in a single day! It's all Just for Fun...

FYI there will be two full Lebo auctions later this year with better regular size cans, advertised as such, and a number of the very best will trickle out on Morean Auctions in the future. I have records of what went where; if you're looking for a better keepsake just get in touch and I can let you know which are which.

Tons of fun stuff is headed up to Spring Thaw as well. Stay tuned for Silent Auction and vintage Ballantine tasting info. I'll have a system in place for offsite silent bidding by text next week. It's time for a show!
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
hemmings
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 29000
eBay name: rareamerica
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by hemmings »

Were there really that many odd or tough variations? or did some more common offgrade cans get steep prices too? Just seemed very competitive in nearly every single can....??
Interested in breweriana with Native American images or language of all kinds.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Yes, yes, and yes. As insane as this was, there were still some bargains in there like the R&H, among others. I only have theories, no explanations. I suspect it's safe to discuss here; whoever is making cans worth 20x what they've ever gone for is probably not on this forum. This is a really bizarre time for the hobby.

At least there is an upside for Charlie's widow and daughter at the end of this.
Uncle Jackson
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 929
BCCA Number: 953
eBay name: JLC0953
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Uncle Jackson »

I picked up a dozen new cans. The pricing was reasonable, although there was some irrational bidding at the end.

Charlie kept a listing of cans with minor differences - mostly canning company codes. It was not possible to tell which of the minor differences were which. That may have limited some of the pricing.

With Charlie gone, who has the best list of quarts with all the minor variations?

Thanx.
Jerry Cole
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Uncle Jackson wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:52 am With Charlie gone, who has the best list of quarts with all the minor variations?
Here is the list from our composite site, not sure when it was last updated.

http://www.therustybunch.com/composite/QT.htm

Excel sheet here:
http://www.therustybunch.com/composite/QT.xls
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Yes, that R & H was a bargain. I can't believe I got it at that price. There were 31 Qts. that I did not have. I ended up winning 16 of them. I also managed to pick up another 9 that will be upgrades. A very good day indeed!

In my opinion, for the most part prices were very reasonable for the first half of the auction. After the Old Reading Ale, things just went nuts.

Thanks Matt for giving us all the opportunity to add some of Charlie's qts. to our collections.

Jim
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

Conehead wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:04 am ... There were 31 Qts. that I did not have. I ended up winning 16 of them. I also managed to pick up another 9 that will be upgrades. A very good day indeed! ...
I cannot imagine someone with a collection of cones as advanced as yours getting 16 new cans all at once! You must be absolutely thrilled to death!!
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Nice to hear, Jim. Someday we'll do it our way... The remaining 79 quarts will trickle out on Morean auctions at some point, the cleaner and rarer specimens. Yeah, I'd never noticed Jeff doesn't typically use USBC numbers so we added those as quickly as possible. So many oddball alcohol statements, inc. several I'd never seen anywhere else... but yeah, can plant numbers and can co. marks just weren't legible unless you already knew what you were looking for. I wasn't keeping those- to me, it was the brewery making the same product and label and it was just the can company making them different.

To Jerry's question, I'm about to launch the website for my new business and will have bandwidth to burn. My plan is to launch a stealth version of Onefullquart.com privately there. I'll have links here, but clients won't see links to them when using the business site. Basically I'll recreate the history and gallery pages and host them there. I probably won't be able to maintain that composite list but I'll have it there. Plus I have some bonus content that came in after godaddy hosed me down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”