Morean Auction 3-05-23

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

bigcitydave
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 869
BCCA Number: 8920
eBay name: bigcitydave
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Morean Auction 3-05-23

Post by bigcitydave »

Just posted. Some real tough stuff, as usual.

Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Re: Morean Auction 3-05-23

Post by Clarkston1 »

Some VERY nice cans.
This one should do well!
Attachments
31AF8C21-2254-43CE-8FD1-38F80B1062A0.png
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

Old Milwaukee Waiter $33,500! (before buyer premium)
Great can, big price jump from the Schoolhouse.
I knew the Waiter was more desirable but didn’t expect such a gap.
Was expecting more of a $5K to $10K difference.
Attachments
C644576D-56FF-423D-ABDC-B087802ED152.jpeg
B07C31A9-F178-407D-A91B-721E4EAD0A8E.jpeg
kelly t
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 773
BCCA Number: 26144
eBay name: beerbaseballfan7
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Sweden

Post by kelly t »

No collector dumb enough to spend 8k and 7k on a Kol..or 6k on a Old Craft Brew
looking for pre 1960 baseball/beer advertising pieces , 12oz los angeles cans maier.brwg company advertising...........niborg, holland no writing on top., burgundy brew 102, el capitan, ABC blue .kool, eastside bock bo bohiemian etc.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I didn't pay much attention to the Old Milwaukee schoolhouse can until after the auction, but something is obviously wrong with the yellow on it. Looking more closely, the can is either rolled or has been re-lidded on both ends. Continental Can Co.'s gold lids are a lighter gold color, and the waiter can is the only pre-war Old Milwaukee can which doesn't have a beaded top lid. This "long mandatory" schoolhouse can was produced after the can with the shorter mandatory and has historically been the tougher of the two to find. Dan's had three offgrade examples with the long mandatory in addition to this one and Tavern Trove auctioned one off that's better than any of Dan's. Dan got big money for the two short mandatory cans - one was the first pretty good blue Old Milwaukee he listed and the other was by far the best he's listed. Looking at those two again, I have to wonder if they're rolled, as both have dark gold bottom lids and are bottom-opened on the seam. Both have silver Schlitz lids with the NY address also.

I don't know whether the waiter can is more desirable than the schoolhouse can, but it certainly is much tougher to find. Still, I didn't anticipate much more than $20K for this one, and I suspected it might go that high only because of the previous results for the schoolhouse can.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

$4,200 for the common Menominee cone is beyond extreme - I know the bulb top and the non-IRTP are tough, but this is just the garden variety in unspectacular condition. The Pilsener Type cones from Thornton far exceeded my expectations also.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

kelly t wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:18 pm No collector dumb enough to spend 8k and 7k on a Kol..or 6k on a Old Craft Brew
I'm generally more than inclined to agree with you, but it is worth noting that many of the most egregious results in these auctions have been Wisconsin cans.

Marc
WISCONSINCANMAN
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 28151
eBay name: Wisconsincanman
United States of America

Post by WISCONSINCANMAN »

kelly t wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:18 pm No collector dumb enough to spend 8k and 7k on a Kol..or 6k on a Old Craft Brew
I agree good cans.but many are out there and the Oconto zip was a crazy price too
Wisconsin cans wanted!!!

Trade me your Wisconsin cans, my most wanted, Old Wisconsin
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:49 pm I didn't pay much attention to the Old Milwaukee schoolhouse can until after the auction, but something is obviously wrong with the yellow on it. Looking more closely, the can is either rolled or has been re-lidded on both ends. Continental Can Co.'s gold lids are a lighter gold color, and the waiter can is the only pre-war Old Milwaukee can which doesn't have a beaded top lid. This "long mandatory" schoolhouse can was produced after the can with the shorter mandatory and has historically been the tougher of the two to find. Dan's had three offgrade examples with the long mandatory in addition to this one and Tavern Trove auctioned one off that's better than any of Dan's. Dan got big money for the two short mandatory cans - one was the first pretty good blue Old Milwaukee he listed and the other was by far the best he's listed. Looking at those two again, I have to wonder if they're rolled, as both have dark gold bottom lids and are bottom-opened on the seam. Both have silver Schlitz lids with the NY address also.

I don't know whether the waiter can is more desirable than the schoolhouse can, but it certainly is much tougher to find. Still, I didn't anticipate much more than $20K for this one, and I suspected it might go that high only because of the previous results for the schoolhouse can.

Marc
My little brother won the old Milwaukee “School House” and couldn’t be happier in fact I’m pretty sure he used to own it long ago - the can is not Rolled but it probably has a replaced lid , if you look closer you can see the teeth marks - and my opinion of the yellow is completely opposite I think the color is outstanding - I sold his can for $1900 about 10 years ago and made the comment that this one would probably go for 19,000
To me it makes Goog Goog sense !
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Summitcan wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:25 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:49 pm I didn't pay much attention to the Old Milwaukee schoolhouse can until after the auction, but something is obviously wrong with the yellow on it. Looking more closely, the can is either rolled or has been re-lidded on both ends. Continental Can Co.'s gold lids are a lighter gold color, and the waiter can is the only pre-war Old Milwaukee can which doesn't have a beaded top lid. This "long mandatory" schoolhouse can was produced after the can with the shorter mandatory and has historically been the tougher of the two to find. Dan's had three offgrade examples with the long mandatory in addition to this one and Tavern Trove auctioned one off that's better than any of Dan's. Dan got big money for the two short mandatory cans - one was the first pretty good blue Old Milwaukee he listed and the other was by far the best he's listed. Looking at those two again, I have to wonder if they're rolled, as both have dark gold bottom lids and are bottom-opened on the seam. Both have silver Schlitz lids with the NY address also.

Marc
My little brother won the old Milwaukee “School House” and couldn’t be happier in fact I’m pretty sure he used to own it long ago - the can is not Rolled but it probably has a replaced lid , if you look closer you can see the teeth marks - and my opinion of the yellow is completely opposite I think the color is outstanding - I sold his can for $1900 about 10 years ago and made the comment that this one would probably go for 19,000
Interesting - looking again, you can see a few gear marks in a couple different places. I've not seen one in person with yellow so dark, perhaps it's due to photography as Dan shows another sold can that looks that way. Most of the high grade examples I've seen are rolled cans. I did think it would go higher based on the results of the others sold at auction. I didn't want a rolled can when I was looking for one, but I still need an indoor example of the short mandatory can and things have changed enough that rolled or re-lidded cans must be considered . . . I was incredibly fortunate to land an all-original can not long before values went nutty.
fallscityfreak
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 719
BCCA Number: 32543
eBay name: 00groundzero00
Zodiac:
Ukraine

Post by fallscityfreak »

Yet again some cans that seem benign in value went through the roof! But this time, I was a little surprised at the hammer on some of the tougher labels, i.e., the Black Eagle sure it had some scuff/gear marks and a partial roller ring, but 1800? Maybe it was the Manhattan mandate? Then the Jester, 1000, really? again, some spotting but not much. And the nice St Louis ABC select, 1500 seems very reasonable.

-fcf.
collector of 12oz US on-grade to off-grade OI & IRTP flats
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

fallscityfreak wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:24 pm Yet again some cans that seem benign in value went through the roof! But this time, I was a little surprised at the hammer on some of the tougher labels, i.e., the Black Eagle sure it had some scuff/gear marks and a partial roller ring, but 1800? Maybe it was the Manhattan mandate? Then the Jester, 1000, really? again, some spotting but not much. And the nice St Louis ABC select, 1500 seems very reasonable.

-fcf.
I would have to agree with fcf on this. It seemed to me like a lot of cans this time went for really, really high prices, instead of the insanely crazy high prices they have been going for the last 2-3 years.
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »

Beercanpete wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:45 pm
fallscityfreak wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:24 pm Yet again some cans that seem benign in value went through the roof! But this time, I was a little surprised at the hammer on some of the tougher labels, i.e., the Black Eagle sure it had some scuff/gear marks and a partial roller ring, but 1800? Maybe it was the Manhattan mandate? Then the Jester, 1000, really? again, some spotting but not much. And the nice St Louis ABC select, 1500 seems very reasonable.

-fcf.
I would have to agree with fcf on this. It seemed to me like a lot of cans this time went for really, really high prices, instead of the insanely crazy high prices they have been going for the last 2-3 years.
Apparently my brother did not win that old Milwaukee - oh well .
Got to agree that this was one of the more encouraging auctions for buyers in about three years - while they’re were still plenty of Crazy head scratchers there also seem to be more somewhat normal results - along with some already listed above I thought the popular old man burger brau was reasonable at $855 and someone gat that crazy clean Pabst Ale
for 3192 - the Windsor O I for $644 was a bargain they typically go for 1500 or 2000
To me it makes Goog Goog sense !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”