Zip Top
Zip Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

De-denting Questions, and a Suggestion

Post by a-6intruder »

I have a couple of cans that could benefit from having the dents removed. Nothing fancy - a Banner FT by Century Brewing Norfolk, and an Eastside OI.

I’ve spent the last several hours looking over all the posts regarding the process, so I have tried to do my self-help homework. The piece of the puzzle that I can’t wrap my head around is the lid removal. Are you holding the can perpendicular to a grinding wheel with the top of the lid against the wheel such that you are shaving the top of the rim, or are you holding the can sideways to the wheel such that you are grinding down the outer edge of the rim? Or some other technique?

Along those lines, is a soup or vegetable can constructed the same way as a 1940 or 1950 beer can, so I could safely practice on the soup can without ruining anything?

And finally, I noted people frequently mentioned that the pipe you place inside the can should be as close to the interior diameter of the can as possible for final rolling and shaping, and that the weight of the pipe or roller should be as heavy as possible. If the weight is important, could you simply take a section of schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe and fill it with concrete? It would certainly be way less expensive than getting a machine shop to mill one out of steel on a lathe.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Craig in Nashville

Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: De-denting Questions, and a Suggestion

Post by Conehead »

Post a picture of the can you are looking to de-dent.

As to the grinding, your first response is the correct one. Hold to can perpendicular to the grinding wheel.

If the dents are not to bad, have you considered a Bramlette Bender?

Here is a thread with some of the cans that I have done with the bender. I much prefer not to remove the lids unless absolutely necessary.

http://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vie ... er#p425473
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
a-6intruder
Zip Top
Zip Top
United States of America

Post by a-6intruder »

Great photo of the Gretz cone. My wife’s grandfather was William Gretz. I joke that I married her 36 years ago in hopes of getting a crack at the cases of pristine Tooner Schooners and Car cans that most certainly were hiding in the attic or loft of the garage waiting for me to rescue them. I even volunteered to drive up at midnight from Virginia Beach to Philadelphia to be the last person in the house prior to it being sold the next day. Sadly, there wasn’t a single item with the Gretz logo on it to be found. But I’m still married…

I’m on travel for a couple of weeks. Will try to find the Banner. The Eastside is in the photo on the left, halfway up. Solid can. Sorry for the disarray. Was planning on putting up shelving now that we are settled in a new house, but got derailed with another carpentry project for our daughter.
Attachments
1496B9AE-9D57-4DA3-BD69-BD22C38EC9C4.jpeg
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Yea, that Eastside is a great candidate for dedenting. Either method would most likely make it look much better.
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
a-6intruder
Zip Top
Zip Top
United States of America

Post by a-6intruder »

Doesn’t look like there’s a ready supply of Bramlette Benders available right now…at least not in the RB Store.

Any thoughts on my second question about practicing on soup cans? Are the lids essentially attached the same way as lids on an old beer can?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Can Repair”