Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1424
BCCA Number: 15476
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

My first Canvention since 1978

Post by Dammit Jim! »

This will be my first Canvention since Milwaukee in 1978. I don't imagine that it's quite the same. :lol:

Last time I went, it was (officially) trading only, at least on the floor. I know that buy/sell is now allowed. I imagine that trades do still take place. My cans have been in storage for 15 years and it's been over 30 years since I've seen my entire collection. I don't know what is my collection and what are my traders at this point, so getting cans together to bring would be difficult. Do I even need to bring any cans? Most likely anything I bring would be fairly current craft cans and I won't get into the older stuff.

Do most people go to the banquet? Seems like most everyone was there in 1978.

My understanding is that there is a lot of room to room dealing that takes place. Is that correct? Would that be just stop in or is that generally prearranged? What's the etiquette on that?

Seems to me that I had more questions. Anything else I should know?

Jim

Jim Peterson

"One man's hoard is another man's... hoard"
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: My first Canvention since 1978

Post by idigrust »

Depending on when you arrive....
Monday - Very little room to room
Tuesday - Little bit more room to room
Wednesday - Best Night for Room to room
Thursday - Everyone brings their stuff to the trade and leaves it there until the end of the show - virtually no Room to room, Craft beer night so everyone is there, then since the average age of the club is 80, everyone is asleep by 10pm
Friday - rinse and repeat Thursday except replace Craft Beer Night with Rusty Bunch Hospitality and Jersey Shore Night (maybe no JS this year though)
Saturday -trade floor and banquet - banquet usually rather well attended.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Trading still occurs, but buy/sell is predominant now. I don't know much about craft cans, but a lot of people collect them and there is good action on them at shows. You could probably trade or sell them if you brought them, but I wouldn't suggest that you "need" to bring cans.

A sizable percentage of attendees don't even stay for the trade floor on Saturday these days.

Room-to-room is my favorite part of any big show. It's totally informal - people looking to sell or trade leave their door open, people looking to buy or trade roam the halls looking for open doors to walk through. Canvention is unique because of the security provided for the trade floor, so room-to-room will likely diminish once the trade floor opens because it's a lot of work lugging stuff back and forth.

Bring comfortable shoes!

Marc
Ceskydup
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 248
BCCA Number: 19952
Year Started Collecting: 1961
United States of America

Post by Ceskydup »

Since it has been 43 years between CANventions, When you walk the halls Mon-Wed just mentioned it has been 43 years between CANventions and the most common reply you will hear is WHAT!? You have some major drinking to do to catch up! Or something along those lines..

Welcome Back!

It will be my 31st CANvention in a row.

Big "R"

jacoby4664
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 373
eBay name: JACOBY4664
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jacoby4664 »

Ok: Full disclosure, my last Canvention was 1972 at Lake Geneva, I was 16 years old. Ms Beer Can fascinated me at the Palyboy Resort in Lake Geneva!!! Morris McPherson showed up with cases and cases of full Country Club, Black Label, Neuwellers Cream Ale cones, Neuwellers Beer and Kingsbury Crowntainer. Ahhhhhhhhh!! Crowntainer!!
Collector of Brewerania Since 1968
William A. Jacoby
107 Lake Forest Drive
St Louis, MO 63117
william.a.jacoby@gmail.com
314-753-0616
BCCA# 373
Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Dammit Jim! »

Great information!

Good to know how the room to room works. Looks like I'll be wandering hallways, at least the Wednesday I get there!

I'll probably be attending the banquet.

I'll definitely bring comfortable shoes. My knees will let me know that they don't like all the walking, but that's the way it goes.

I think that I'll try to spread my catching up on the beer between a few Canventions! Of course the last one I attended I had a big red 'X' on my badge...

'72 sounds like an interesting Canvention

It's good to hear that they have overnight security on the trade floor. In '78 you had to remove your cans every night, which created a huge traffic jam at the elevators at the end of the afternoon! My Dad and myself you carry my traders in two large stacks, so we took the stairs. Lots of yelling when we did that because they thought we were going up a floor to cut into the elevators on the return. We were on the third floor, so we just carried them up. Things change for the better!

Thanks for the information!
Jim
Jim Peterson

Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Jim: I've been to a few Canventions, last one was Omaha couple of years back. First thing I would say is to allay any worries you might have. Lot of buying/selling going on, but there are plenty of people there who are up for old-fashioned trading, especially crafts

I would say bring some of everything you have. The one thing you don't have with you is the one thing someone is looking for. Trust me- happens just about every time! Even bring those 70's and 80's cans- there are peoipole who are looking for variants you've never heard of- and they'll often find something of yours they want. Craft cans trade very well (look me up- I have tons and tons of New Orleans crafts to trade or sell), especially your newest ones. Topical cans also trade well- for example, cans with girls always are in top demand- grab extras of any of those current near you. You'll move them. Another big thing- there are several big craft collectors who will be there who only want "painted" cans- those are the ones with the design printed on the can itself, not a big sticker. Bring full cans of various crafts- lot of us like to trade for or buy full cans so we can have something different to drink. Fair number of craft guys who only collect cans they personally empty. OH, and a big thing- concentrate on your locals! Lot of those out of state cans you can get, I can get at home too. Local brewers always trade best.

Hey, one other thing: you want to meet some of the other Rusty Bunchers (and you do want to meet them- GREAT bunch of guys and a lot of fun to be around), volunteer for a shift or two manning the chapter table. Time yourself right, and it's a good break from the trade floor. Your feet will appreciate it!

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Dammit Jim! »

I guess most of my concerns are about being as prepared as I reasonably can be. I considered not bringing any cans, but I think that would be a mistake. Everyone has given me great information

For the most part, I can't bring my older cans. They're all boxed up and I don't know what is my collection and what are traders. Compounding the issue is that I acquired 3 or 4 collections where most of them are cans I have, but there were a few cans that I needed. The newer cans I are easy to sift through since they're packed with a few identical ones. I'm definitely bringing what I can identify as a duplicate. They're not doing me any good sitting in a corner!

I definitely need to meet some of the other Rusty Bunchers. Time to put faces with the names. Manning the chapter table for a bit is probably a great idea.

Looking forward to it!
Jim Peterson

josh
Thread Killer
Thread Killer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 357
BCCA Number: 0
Mexico

Post by josh »

Jim, you should bring all of your traders and more because it's been a long standing tradition for both the BCCA and the Rusty Bunch that when a collector returns after over forty years they bring their unseen for decades cans to a guy named Josh first for a private viewing/buying session. I don't know why this is traditional but it's true....
jacoby4664
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 373
eBay name: JACOBY4664
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jacoby4664 »

josh wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:33 pm Jim, you should bring all of your traders and more because it's been a long standing tradition for both the BCCA and the Rusty Bunch that when a collector returns after over forty years they bring their unseen for decades cans to a guy named Josh first for a private viewing/buying session. I don't know why this is traditional but it's true....
Ha!!! Nice try “Josh”!!!!! LOL
Collector of Brewerania Since 1968
William A. Jacoby
107 Lake Forest Drive
St Louis, MO 63117
william.a.jacoby@gmail.com
314-753-0616
BCCA# 373
Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Dammit Jim! »

josh wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:33 pm Jim, you should bring all of your traders and more because it's been a long standing tradition for both the BCCA and the Rusty Bunch that when a collector returns after over forty years they bring their unseen for decades cans to a guy named Josh first for a private viewing/buying session. I don't know why this is traditional but it's true....
LOL! Don't question tradition, just go with it!
Jim Peterson

mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Yeah, manning the Rusty Bunch table is a great way to meet new people. It's manned in pairs now too - it could get interesting quickly back when it was a solo job if you didn't have much experience.

Marc
Jim Romine
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 185
BCCA Number: 19904
eBay name: mojonitro
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jim Romine »

The odd thing about the "Josh" tradition is it only will apply on Wed the 11th!
Jim
Always looking for Bock Beer Cans - 1 or 100, mint or dumper.
josh
Thread Killer
Thread Killer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 357
BCCA Number: 0
Mexico

Post by josh »

Jim Romine wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:49 am The odd thing about the "Josh" tradition is it only will apply on Wed the 11th!
Jim
C'mon Jim, you know that's the old me. It's going to be a great Canvention and Labor Day, see you on the eighth!
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 18
BCCA Number: 16085
eBay name: rusteditor
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

Jim, looking forward to meeting and hanging out for our shift together.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always looking for cones or cone variations I don't have.
Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Dammit Jim! »

It'll be good to meet fellow RBers and get to know some. I'm looking forward to it!
Jim Peterson

Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Dammit Jim! »

Some observations on my first Canvention since ‘78 and my first show since ‘89:

Trading is alive and well, especially with craft beers. It’s common for someone to come up to your table, ask if you trade craft cans, and pick out a couple of dozen. Then you take an equal number of theirs. Quick, simple, and fun.

Buying is a huge plus since ‘78. I can get into flats and cones without having flats and cones.

People seem to be more willing to talk. I learned a lot about specific cans and bottles. I learned a lot about the later years of Falstaff and brewery variations on cans, including a brewery location mark on pull tab cans. Had good conversations in general.

First time I did room to room trading. Didn’t get any candy, but it reminded me of trick or treat as a kid. You never really knew what treats were through the door. Picked up a lot of cans and learned quite a bit as well. It was neat that people were willing to show off some high dollar cans that I had only seen in books and online and answer questions about them.

Met a bunch of Rusty Bunchers and talked with quite a few. Working the table didn’t seem like work and it sure didn’t seem like an hour. I’m going to close this now and go to the Jam Session and meet some more!

I’ve been enjoying myself and it’s hard to believe that the Canvention ends tomorrow
Jim Peterson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 50 v2.0 - St. Louis”