CanDB version 3.5 now available

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

CanDB version 3.5 now available

Post by Randy Karasek »

CanDB version 3.5 has been uploaded, containing several collector requests for changes. Reminder, CanDB is a FREE breweriana database, collection management, and HTML generation application. The intended use of this product is for creating graphical breweriana composites, with many different styles of generated HTML pages, such that details can be viewed with real pictures, not just text.

Please see the following link for details: http://www.mbcinfo.com/CanDB/

Some additional reminders:
  • Generates HTML that can be viewed by web browser on almost any device
  • Can import data from any format spreadsheet
  • Can import data from Canventory
  • As since day one, CanDB remains free to use
  • If you have any questions or ideas, just ask and I will help where I can
Changes in version 3.5:
  • Added beer can modifier tags for IRTP, Withdrawn Free, Opening Instructions, and Test can. Check boxes added to the Item tab and attempt to imply values based on short text description during import. Appears as “Mods” in the filters and variation controls.
  • Now uses ImageMagick “-auto-orient” when importing images. Many digital cameras don’t actually do the pixel processing when changing camera orientation but instead just store an “Exif Orientation” tag with the file. Not all software recognizes this Exif tag and images may appear rotated when displayed in browsers. Use of the “-auto-orient” option causes CanDB to auto rotate if necessary so pictures are displayed correctly regardless of older or newer web browser.
  • Fixed import of Excel CSV files with respect to values with embedded double quote characters.
  • Fixed defect of creating a new item and immediately doing a “Delete” without ever saving the item. CanDB was attempting to move file(s) from disk which had never been saved to disk.
  • Changed the tray icon such that different from the BMV (Beer Magazine Viewer).
http://www.mbcinfo.com/CanDB/

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Re: CanDB version 3.5 now available

Post by MI-Cans »

Thanks, Randy!

Update ran perfectly.

(MI-Cans)
TabGuy
Flat Top
Flat Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 6350
Year Started Collecting: 2015
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by TabGuy »

Cool program Randy, thanks! It was able to import my Excel file very well.

Most of my items however do not allow me to save, as the button is grayed out, while some do. Any way to change that so I can make modifications to any of them?

Thanks again
Ron.. - TabGuy
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

TabGuy wrote:Cool program Randy, thanks! It was able to import my Excel file very well.

Most of my items however do not allow me to save, as the button is grayed out, while some do. Any way to change that so I can make modifications to any of them?
CanDB stores each item in a separate folder/directory on disk. This was intentional decision as opposed to storing in an embedded database so collector always has full access to their data (stored in clear text files) and easy to view/copy any images using other programs.
CanDBItem.jpg
Since disk based files, each item must have a unique Reference number and Short Name value. If either field is empty or would be a duplicate with another item, the Save button is disabled. With above example I have selected item "05 - BB Special Export 1". If changing the reference number to "10" or the short name as "BB Special Export 2", the Save button will be disabled since would cause a collision with an existing entry. Button state will enable/disable automatically as you type if the given operation is allowed.

During import from Excel file, CanDB will automatically assign reference numbers as well as ensure Short Names are made unique by adding digits as necessary. Under the "Tools" menu there are quick ways to renumber references.

Please follow up with PM/Email/Phone and I will try to help right away. Work has me in front of computer way too many hours and beer can related questions a very welcome distraction!
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

Randy,

Thanks for continuing to provide this service for free. Someday, I will sit down and figure it out!
-Al Aprea
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

kruegerbock wrote:Thanks for continuing to provide this service for free. Someday, I will sit down and figure it out!
Al, offer still open to everyone. Email me a sample of your Excel spreadsheet (just the top header rows and a few rows of data) and I will email back screen shot of CanDB configuration to import the text.

Note1: Not the size of the spreadsheet that matters. Most collectors keep comments about prices paid, from whom, etc and that is none of my business. Just a few lines of the exported CSV file gives me enough to understand format.

Note2: I will be at Cabin Fever in a couple weeks, and hopefully Spring Thaw again if anyone wants to view my usage, experiment with data from your laptop/tablet, or just want to ask questions.
TabGuy
Flat Top
Flat Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by TabGuy »

Perfect! Understand completely. Many of my cans are listed with the same name. I added a numeric value after them so that there were no duplicates. Worked like a charm.

Gonna try adding photos now.

Thanks again! I really like this tool
Ron.. - TabGuy
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

Just thought I'd post some screen dumps of how I'm using Randy's CanDB program. Click to enlarge.

I broke my collection into separate "projects."
1. Projects Page2.jpg
The data entry pages have room for almost any details and pictures you want to enter.
2. Data Input Page.jpg
You can view the entire project at once.
3. Group Display.jpg
Or you can view a single project entry.
4. Individual Can Display.jpg
You can view that single entry as large pictures.
5. Large Display.jpg
Or you can view each picture as full sized.
6. Full Size View.jpg
You can view it in what's called the Brewery display.
7. Brewery Group Display.jpg
And yet one more way of looking at it.
8. Another View.jpg
And finally, there's always the text version.
9. Text View.jpg
I'll be the first to admit that the picture taking is the most tedious and demanding part. If you put the effort in, the reward will manifest itself as your collection will be easy to view and can be appreciated by others. How many of you know every can in your collection and everything about it? With 1K+ cans, I needed at least a spread sheet to keep track. With Randy's program, it's like have a spreadsheet along with a pictorial database. I will get it all done one of these days. Until then, it keep me occupied. Thanks Randy!

(MI-Cans)
TabGuy
Flat Top
Flat Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by TabGuy »

Wow, that's awesome!!

I also find this program very useful.
Ron.. - TabGuy
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

It looks great! Any chance of a Linux port?
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

henry porter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:45 pm It looks great! Any chance of a Linux port?
Hello Henry.

Are you serious about running CanDB on Linux? The CanDB program is 100% Java using the SWT (Simple Widget Toolkit) graphic API. SWT has implementations for Windows, Mac and Linux. In fact, for my business we have many Linux servers and I have several SWT based programs that run just fine on RHEL 7.1 Linux (64-bit) and I still have access to RHEL 5.8 Linux (32-bit).

A CanDB package for Linux would likely take just days, likely gzip/tar distribution, and assume you have already installed Java (no JRE bundling), but don't want to waste time unless you are seriously planning on using a Linux port.
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

Hi Randy, thanks for the reply. All my machines at home use Linux, and have been for 10 years or so. I do have one old ratty machine running windows but I only use it for a part-time online gig.

So yes, absolutely I'd use a linux port. I have java installed (1.8.0) and can compile code if necessary. My system is Mageia 64bit.
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
Woody
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Woody »

I can honestly say that I have no idea what you guys are talking about! I knew that I should have taken that computer class in High School! Woody :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rockbob »

I'm trying to install this program on a new windows 10 laptop. Everything works great except when I click on the Candb exe. I get an error message saying the companion library cannot be found. Help!!
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”