Zip Top
Zip Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:

Simple bottle cleaning method

Post by PA Will »

Nice to see a bottle section here at RB!!

Cleaning a bottle is easier than a can. Cans can be very fragile after years in the dirt.
My simple method of cleaning a bottle is to get some copper wire and cut it into 1/8" pieces get enough to fill the bottom of the bottle you want to clean with an inch or two of cut copper pieces. Then sprinkle some barkeepers friend in on top of the copper. Add some hot water, plug the opening & shake the bottle good for a while. Rinse n repeat. This should clean out all of the crud that has collected in the bottle.
Others prefer tumblers n professional jobs and they look wonderful but the above methed has served me just fine.

Good luck n happy dump diggin!!!

Always looking for Carlisle bottles, Natty Boh, PBR & PA cone tops.
portermite
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 21608
Year Started Collecting: 0

Re: Simple bottle cleaning method

Post by portermite »

Good info Will, thanks. I will give this a try have lots of bottles sitting around uncleaned I need to do something with. (and cans for that matter!)
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

Yep good advice pro cleaners charge $10 a bottle which is cheap if its a high dollar bottle but can get expensive fast if you get bunch cleaned and doubles if you go to ship them to get cleaned.

I seen some good cheap homemade tumblers it is same principal as you do just in a tube spinning for 3-5 days you can buy copper and supplies from Jar Doctor.
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
PA Will
Zip Top
Zip Top
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:

Post by PA Will »

Hmmm off to check Jar Doctor...
Thanks for the heads up
Always looking for Carlisle bottles, Natty Boh, PBR & PA cone tops.
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

A simple method I use that has been highly effective for me is to fill to bottle with sand (about 1/5) and just enough to totally submerg the sand. Plug the top and shake a good while.........rinse and repeat. If you rinse into a small container, you can use the sand over and over again. I buy small bags of sand from a craft store such as Michaels. You can get more coarse sand there vs. plain sandbox sand, although if the grim isn't too bad, sandbox sand can work well also.
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

PA Will wrote:Nice to see a bottle section here at RB!!

Cleaning a bottle is easier than a can. Cans can be very fragile after years in the dirt.
My simple method of cleaning a bottle is to get some copper wire and cut it into 1/8" pieces get enough to fill the bottom of the bottle you want to clean with an inch or two of cut copper pieces. Then sprinkle some barkeepers friend in on top of the copper. Add some hot water, plug the opening & shake the bottle good for a while. Rinse n repeat. This should clean out all of the crud that has collected in the bottle.
Others prefer tumblers n professional jobs and they look wonderful but the above methed has served me just fine.

Is the copper just for abrasive purposes, or is there a chemical reaction involved? I know aluminum shavings are sometimes used to throw a chemical reaction (don't ask) that puts out some fumes, just wondering it that was the case here, and if so to clarify it should be done outside and not inhaled.
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

The cooper is the "cutter" of grime and stains they use cleaner as well this is from Jar doctor (Wayne)
http://jardoctor.com/

Water/cooper/cleaner in bottle swish around per method mentioned in post.
if in tumbler it is in canister spinning sealed
hope this helps
TUMBLING COPPER

Tumbling copper is needed to force the cleaning oxide against the glass for polishing. The normal is cut from new 12-gauge wire into 3/32-inch and 5/32 -inch lengths. Fine is also available, which is cut from new 14-gauge wire into 1/16-inch length. Several mediums have been tested for cleaning, including buckshot, aluminum wire, BBs, glass beads, sinker pellets, etc., and so far, copper has proven to be the best. Unfortunately, it is somewhat expensive. However, once purchased, you will have the necessary amount and will only need to purchase small amounts as the copper wears down; this will be seldom in that the copper is completely reusable.

The following formulas can be used to determine the amount of copper you will need:
1) Determine the number of canisters you intend to turn at any one time
2) Total the largest combination of canister sizes that could turn at any one time
3) Multiply this total by 4 and add 5
This will give you the minimal amount of copper necessary for your needs.

For example, if you purchase a two canister system, with a 4-inch and a 6-inch canister, you will need: (((4 + 6) * 4) + 5) = 45 pounds.

CLEANING OXIDES

This is the key to the cleaning process. There are basically two types of oxides: polishing and cutting. The oxides are similar in texture to baby powder.
The polishing oxides include aluminum, cerium, tin and others. They only remove elements that are attached to the glass, such as a lime deposit, mineralization, rust stain, food stain, etc. - not etching and/or scratching. Since polishing oxides are softer than glass, they will not cut away at the glass, thus they do not effect embossing, but do give the glass a "spit clean" shine. These are the same materials used to polish eyeglass lenses.

Aluminum oxide is on the hard side of the polishing world, and is inexpensive. On a scale from 1 to 10 with a 10 being the hardness of glass, it would be about an 8. It is a good all-purpose polish and it is my favorite because of its cost and ease of cleanup. Sometimes it is too hard for soft glass (such as a pre-1850 glass and some amber glass.

Tin oxide is also a hard polish (around a 9). It is the most effective polish to remove light frost from cutting (with 1200 grit silicon carbide) on extremely hard glass (such as cobalt, dark green, black, crystal and clear glass made after 1900).

Cerium oxide is a soft polish (around a 5). It works best on extremely soft glass (such as pre-1850 glass and amber). It will also give a better shine on the glass. The disadvantages of cerium is that it takes a little longer to polish and it is harder to rinse off the glass. It cannot effectively remove frost from cutting on medium to hard glass.

The cutting oxides remove etching and scratching and include silicon carbide. The cutting oxides are available in various grit sizes depending on the severity of the etching and/or scratching, and the properties of the piece itself. The cutting oxides can remove etching and/or scratching in about 5 days, or the entire embossing within 12 hours, depending on the grit used. The cutting oxides are better left unused until you become familiar with your machine and the removing capabilities of the polishing compounds. At this point, you will have a better sense of what types of "sickness" will require cutting oxides.

1200 Grit Silicon Carbide is an extremely fine grit oxide. Since it is harder than glass, it is an effective cutter that is used to remove light-scratching and etching from the glass. It is safe to use around embossing. Depending on the hardness of the glass, it will generally take around two weeks on the machine before the embossing will start to show a rounded effect on the sides. The 1200 will generally (except on very hard glass) leave a light frost on the glass which will require a second turning using polish.

600 Grit Silicon Carbide is not to be used around embossing (it will remove embossing from a bottle in as little as 24 hours). It is an extremely fast cutter that is used when the inside of a bottle (or outside of an unembossed bottle) is heavily etched. 600 will leave a heavy frost which will require a second turning with 1200, followed by a third turning using polish.

Loading and unloading instructions are available, which include the recommended amounts of oxides to use for different item sizes. An example is 3 teaspoons for a pint fruit jar in a 5-inch canister. I recommend that you start with a pound of oxide for every canister you will turn at the same time. Each pound should clean 30 to 35 tumblings. As you clean your items, you will find which oxide works best for you and the objects you are cleaning.

NOTE: Oxides come in many different grade purities and grit sizes that can greatly alter the way they will work on glass. The supplied information is based upon the specific oxides that I sell.
Oldcrowncollector
Small Can Glory
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: 515
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Post by Small Can Glory »

chaunasknight wrote:Is the copper just for abrasive purposes, or is there a chemical reaction involved? I know aluminum shavings are sometimes used to throw a chemical reaction (don't ask) that puts out some fumes, just wondering it that was the case here, and if so to clarify it should be done outside and not inhaled.
No chemical reaction... Copper is softer than glass and generally will not scratch it.
Out of my brain on the 515!
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Thats right it dont scratch glass but takes away stains,grime,ect polishes it in effect.

If bottle is scratched pretty good it will show more cleaned or rolled in river them look worse polished
Some chips,flea bites(small pits) look worse after poloshing its a crap shot sometimes most time bottle looks new.
Oldcrowncollector
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

This is a good thread. I sometimes save interesting bottles from can dumps, and my wife likes cobalt blue glass pieces, but the only means I ever used to clean them out was sand in water. Now I get to add some new ideas to my arsenal.
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Based on the information in this thread, I cleaned a bottle my Dad gave me. It is from a company in my home town - G. Haas of Sturgis Michigan. I documented everything. Hopefully, this will be useful for somebody else who is new to this. The toughest part to clean ended up being at the very top of the bottle. For that part, I used a 1/2 wire brush to clean off the gunk. It's the type of brush you would normally use to clean copper when sweating pipe. It took just shy of forever to cut up all the little 12 gauge wire pieces but I did it in front of the TV so it was not too bad. It was a good use of some scrap pieces that have been sitting around too long in my shop.

Front of bottle
20200320_183240.jpg
Back of bottle
20200320_183249.jpg
1/3 cup of copper wire
20200321_182630.jpg
1 tablespoon of Barkeepers Helper
20200321_183636.jpg
Bottle showing level of water
20200321_183817.jpg
Finished bottle
20200322_213245.jpg
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
renokenn
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 838
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by renokenn »

That's quite a change, I initially thought it was an amber colored bottle.
Ctbott1
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 2019
United States of America

Post by Ctbott1 »

That came out great - nice work.
GimmeGipps
Rusty Bunch Vice President
Rusty Bunch Vice President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 206
BCCA Number: 26250
eBay name: sbcbmx63
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by GimmeGipps »

I thought it was an amber colored bottle too. Looks great
Kip Rodier, BCCA #26250, RB #206
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1121
BCCA Number: 32460
Year Started Collecting: 2004
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

Thank for bringing up that topic. I just started cleaning old bottles over the weekend Try to find a better way. I 'm layoff from work because of COVID-19 and I have more things to do around the house and look thru breweriana stuff. I will start with this one.
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
Ctbott1
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 2019
United States of America

Post by Ctbott1 »

That will be a tough one to clean if you don’t have a tumbler because it looks like the inside and outside are both sick. You might be able to clean the inside with some copper and an agent and just a bit of shaking but not sure how you will be able to do the outside.

I know some people have played around with sanding and grinding wheels with different heads.

Please post before and after pictures because if you have a good method for cleaning sick glass outside of a tumbler I’d love to learn it.

Good luck
sirusthevirus
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Year Started Collecting: 1985
United States of America

Post by sirusthevirus »

I came across this forum by accident looking for a way to clean the filthy scum that's left from bottles that have been soaking in pond silt for a hundred years and longer. Some are easy to clean and some proved to be more time wasted than what it's worth and needless to say I've got quite a number of bottles sitting around that should be on display but even in a dark room you can see the scum. I've even spent time with light scrubbies and polishing compound but it takes too long. Auto brushes different types of grit, adrenal with polishing wheels with different compounds, you name it you have tried it and some come out nice until they dry, then you see what you missed. I've spent countless hours on a bottle that is virtually worthless just to make it look nice thanks to my dad passing on his OCD to me lol. Since then I've just cleaned them best I can with a little bit of time and just recently have hooked up with a few guys that are into it as much as me and moving to a colonial homestead site where there are countless Ash piles and five outhouse privies to be Doug not to mention at the end of the yard where a big fat groundhog dug up a pile of oyster shells for me and I've already done four feet down and haven't come to the oyster shells yet so I've got my workout out for me and with the bottles gathering around me faster than I can clean them I just need a automated method that takes less energy because none of us are getting any younger and after catching a good batch of Lyme disease a few years ago and not knowing it for a while my joints aren't holding up so well especially with kind of work that I do which includes digging constantly not only bottles and dumps but landscaping and outside work around this homestead which is all manual. Thanks for all the tips and AD vice and it seems as though a hand-built bottle tumbler is in order since I primarily all scrap metal with the collection of items from the yards and stuff that I have gathered I should be able to tumble they're less than five sections big and long as I need them to be I guess depending on what I have which lately includes 300 antique insulators I found in a huge pocket just up the four-wheeler trail from me, oh goody, not to mention the Mason jar dump I found over the hill from that and the list goes on and on and recently the Altoona PA Hutchinson bottles I have found in numerous quantity just last week not to mention everything else although I seems I have mentioned everything I could go on and on . Mainly just want to thank the administrators of the site for allowing a bottle post because I do come across the beer cans from time to time and my diggings not in very good shape unfortunately because bear can't stand last underground for 100 to 150 years but I do metal detect as well so I may be able to add and help some people here as well. Thanks again for the bottle cleaning post.
chaunasknight wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:25 pm
PA Will wrote:Nice to see a bottle section here at RB!!

Is the copper just for abrasive purposes, or is there a chemical reaction involved? I know aluminum shavings are sometimes used to throw a chemical reaction (don't ask) that puts out some fumes, just wondering it that was the case here, and if so to clarify it should be done outside and not inhaled.
sirusthevirus
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Year Started Collecting: 1985
United States of America

Post by sirusthevirus »

I will attempted to post before and after photos with the cleaning mediums and any additional steps added or removed and the length of time that was spent per bottle and per process per bottle. Once again thanks tonight dad passing on his OCD I will have this nearly perfected in no time and we'll be happy to share the most time efficient and effective method of making your bottles look as though they just came from the factory or better, probably worse a few times. And if all goes as planned I hope to have a bottle cleaning service with a Tumblr with multiple units to offer those of us that collect the bottles as well.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

sirusthevirus wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 pm I will attempted to post before and after photos with the cleaning mediums and any additional steps added or removed and the length of time that was spent per bottle and per process per bottle. Once again thanks tonight dad passing on his OCD I will have this nearly perfected in no time and we'll be happy to share the most time efficient and effective method of making your bottles look as though they just came from the factory or better, probably worse a few times. And if all goes as planned I hope to have a bottle cleaning service with a Tumblr with multiple units to offer those of us that collect the bottles as well.
Welcome to the Rusty Bunch. I am glad you found this site. There is an amazing amount of information on this site. Plus, if the answer to your questions are not already here, most likely somebody will know the answer if you ask. Good luck on your project!
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

CrustyRusty
Rust Master
Rust Master
Year Started Collecting: 1998
United States of America

Post by CrustyRusty »

pinnacle-project wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 pm Based on the information in this thread, I cleaned a bottle my Dad gave me. It is from a company in my home town - G. Haas of Sturgis Michigan. I documented everything. Hopefully, this will be useful for somebody else who is new to this. The toughest part to clean ended up being at the very top of the bottle. For that part, I used a 1/2 wire brush to clean off the gunk. It's the type of brush you would normally use to clean copper when sweating pipe. It took just shy of forever to cut up all the little 12 gauge wire pieces but I did it in front of the TV so it was not too bad. It was a good use of some scrap pieces that have been sitting around too long in my shop.

Front of bottle
20200320_183240.jpg

Back of bottle
20200320_183249.jpg

1/3 cup of copper wire
20200321_182630.jpg

1 tablespoon of Barkeepers Helper
20200321_183636.jpg

Bottle showing level of water
20200321_183817.jpg

Finished bottle
20200322_213245.jpg
So did you just shake the bottle by hand or use a tumbler?
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

@CrustyRusty

I shook the bottle by hand. I do not have a tumbler.

2023 Shows Attended

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bottle Cleaning”