Take care of your digging Buds.....

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Take care of your digging Buds.....

Post by Cap-Sealed »

all star.jpg
I just recently came back from my 1st UP digging trip ever and we wanted to re-pay Bob Lavelle for his invaluable maps and tips he sent me before I left. He even told me, "I could phone a friend" if I needed more help, which I did a few times. I found a '30s trash pit in an area that had been pounded before but nobody gets them all. Actually, more like 1940-41, but still a pre-war trash pit. Rustyjonesin' helped me dig it. Dale had a similar pit 20 feet over but was pre-beer cans. I told Bob before we left if I found anything good, I'd save a can for him, so he gets the 4th best All Star by Manhattan from the trip! RUSTlings story being written right now...

Stew Crook came up with the "Buddy Rule" first, where we dug a killer '30s dump together, and we were pretty sure we finished it, but he went back the next spring and found 5 green Lucky Ale O/Is. He gave me the 2nd best one. I said let's go back next Sunday but he couldn’t go, so I went solo. I was determined to find the 6th Lucky Ale but with a week's worth of pine needles dropping, I couldn't see where he dug last. But I was finding fresh pits left and right, that had never been dug. I found 6 Lisco cones and 15 Rainier cones. I gave Stew the 2nd best Lisco.

Another time after that, Dale and I were killing it at a campground. We just finished a 30s pit that had Town Clubs & Humboldt O/Is, and found another pit, but we still had a 6-hr drive home so we had to save it for next time. Next time came, but Dale couldn’t go but Carl Scheurman & John Smoller did. We headed straight to the pit, and it turned out to be from the 1960s. We moved on to the next camping area and scored huge with a pit full of 38 Horluck’s Vienna O/Is with the castle, among other cans. We gave Dale the 4th best.

And more recently, I was digging with Carl & Scott and found a small pit of 6 shot up Leidigs. I knew there were more Leidigs somewhere, but Scott wanted to leave. The next summer Dale was in the area, and I sent him to that camp. He was by himself and detected 3 big pits, but he figured I dug them all last summer. He went into town to get supplies and got a call from his daughter, who was having car trouble in Idaho. He landed up pulling the engine and never got back. As we talked, I told him I only dug 2 big pits, that the 3rd was virgin. As luck would have it, Rusty & Scott were with me in Oregon, and we things weren’t looking too good for us. So, I told them lets go to the Leidigs camp, Scott agreed. We found that 3rd pit and opened it up. It was full of 72 Leidgis O/Is…. We gave Dale the best one!

The moral of this story is, take care of your digging buds, and they will take care of you! That's the true spirit of the Rusty Bunch!

Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
potters66
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 594
BCCA Number: 30854
eBay name: potters66
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Take care of your digging Buds.....

Post by potters66 »

Always did and always will !! I have never been digging like most of you but I had some great adventures with Mviggie.
Always ended up at a good Tavern at the end of the day.
Still miss that crazy guy!
RUSTY BUNCH #594
Ironguts #5 / One Percenter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”