WashPost article on the megabeer market

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

WashPost article on the megabeer market

Post by Beverlx »

The real reason Mexico suddenly dominates global beer exports
Analysis by Andrew Van Dam

After the Great Recession, the Dutch had a solid grip on the global beer market, powered by Holland hop heavyweight Heineken. But within a decade, the Netherlands — indeed all of Europe’s hoppy heartland — would be unceremoniously thrashed by a New World upstart: Mexico.

Today, Mexico ships out more than twice as much beer as any other country and single-handedly accounts for 30 percent of the world’s entire export-beer market, according to Geneva-based trade statistics provider Trade Data Monitor. That puts Mexico far above the Netherlands (14 percent), Belgium (13 percent) and even Oktoberfest progenitor Germany (9 percent).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... _p003_f004

menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Re: WashPost article on the megabeer market

Post by menke »

Wow that’s fascinating. I will never drink a modelo again, though if a gun were to my head it’d be marginally preferable to f&#@ing Stella.

Go have a craft beer, folks, and stick a big long American middle finger in the eurotrash man’s face.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Otoh, if this is what it takes to destroy Budweiser forever then I’m in for a couple rounds.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

Back in March I bought a 24 ounce can of Heineken and was surprised to see that it was brewed in Mexico.

Traditionally, Heineken imported into the USA was always brewed in Holland. The 12oz bottles and cans are still from Holland, so that may have been a one-off thing.

Anyhow, Dos Equis, Tecate, and Sol are all produced by Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewery, based in Monterrey, Mexico. The brewery was founded in 1890 and currently operates in several locations throughout Mexico: Monterrey, Guadalajara, Toluca, Tecate, Orizaba, and Meoqui. Dec 21, 2018
bodean
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by bodean »

menke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:40 pm Otoh, if this is what it takes to destroy Budweiser forever then I’m in for a couple rounds.
I don't want to get political but I'm there with you. Their 'inclusive marketing' has alienated a lot of their core market. Not a good marketing plan in my opinion. I'm all for live and let live but it should be left out of marketing. Didn't see this ill thought marketing plan coming, even when Anheuser Busch was sold to a company from Belgium... :smt012

For what it's worth, I do enjoy a Modelo from time to time. And it's safer to drink than the water. :mrgreen: I think I'll just buy local from now on. It may not be everyone's favorite but it's made here. :smile:
We have art to decorate our spaces. We have music to decorate our time. - Mom
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

No politics at all… there are plenty of reasons to loathe AB from any perspective. I see that they destroyed American brewing by being so efficient. I see they bought up and wrecked early craft brands, anti-competitive. I see they’ve muddied the market with faux crafts and all kinds of garbage drinks. I see they sold out in a tight spot and now aren’t American on top of being bland swill. New owners slashed their corporate giving, the only redeeming feature of their Uber-success. I see they try to shove down our throats whatever they want to. They no longer stand for anything but profiteering, officially wiping out their welcome for me.
HeymabelBlackLabel
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1172
BCCA Number: 20541
eBay name: Corzman69
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by HeymabelBlackLabel »

I about flipped out one day while I was working an account on my route. Dos Equis, a Mexican brand, in 12 pack bottles that was brewed in Holland at the Heineken Brewery. Yes, I know Heineken owns the XX brand, but it would certainly be cheaper to ship XX from Mexico than from Holland !
Image"Give me beer, or give me death" - Patrick Henry ( right after a fairly famous speech at the "after speech" party.

http://www.heymabelblacklabel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charlie Smigo
BCCA # 20541
Richbrau Chapter webmaster
ABA # 8760
Rusty Bunch #1172
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

I think they want to make sure that literally everyone knows that their go-to beers have now been reduced to mass-produced fodder. It must be like an in joke to them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”