MI Deer Opener In 4 Days

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

MI Deer Opener In 4 Days

Post by MI-Cans »

It's that time again. Even though I'm no longer able to do so, hunting season was always synonymous with Thanksgiving and the Michigan - Ohio State game. I can remember driving up to the UP with the game on the radio. Like everything else, that's changed.

I was clearing out old crap to get rid of and came across one of my successful hunter patches. Only earned three in all those years. Not important as each visit to the UP was a memory to cherish.

Michigan started using the patches to encourage hunters to have their game checked by the DNR for survey and management purposes. Now-a-days anybody can supposedly just buy them.

I looked up the collection of patches for deer, bear, turkey and elk. They even produced a series the promote conservation and non-game species called Michigan's Living Resources. As always, click to enlarge.

Here's the deer patches.

MI DEER.jpg

Here's the turkey patches.

MI TURKEY.jpg

Here's the bear patches.

MI BEAR.jpg

Here's the elk patches.

MI ELK HUNT.jpg

And finally, the Living Resources patches.

MI LIVING RESOURCES.jpg

I know other states and Canadian provinces have similar projects. Feel free to post any patches you've earned or are aware of. Hope you can appreciate the post...

In my search for the patch images I ran across people selling complete sets on eBay for thousands!

(MI-Cans)

beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1121
BCCA Number: 32460
Year Started Collecting: 2004
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: MI Deer Opener In 4 Days

Post by beerhunter14 »

Those are cool !! What I find interesting is the Grey Wolf pack. There is most wolves now than back in 1991-1992 in U.P. Michigan.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@beerhunter14
beerhunter14 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:34 pm Those are cool !! What I find interesting is the Grey Wolf pack. There is most wolves now than back in 1991-1992 in U.P. Michigan.
From a Michigan DNR posting online:
Michigan’s gray wolf population was almost eliminated by the mid-1970s. Today, Michigan has a wolf population close to 700 in the Upper Peninsula. Gray wolves in Michigan were again removed from the federal endangered species list in early 2021, but a federal court decision in February 2022 returned them to federal protections.
(MI-Cans)
dwaugh
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 705
BCCA Number: 29712
eBay name: ebay sucks
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dwaugh »

This handsome devil showed up in the back yard this morning

View at hi resolution and with accurate color: http://www.vintagecans.com/buck_2022.html
Attachments
buck2.jpg
Always looking for

Also: Ruppert, pre-Pro New England trays, New England cones and quarts.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@dwaugh
dwaugh wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:47 am This handsome devil showed up in the back yard this morning.
Thanks for posting! Yes, real nice deer. Amazing how the main beams are so tall.

(MI-Cans)
dwaugh
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 705
BCCA Number: 29712
eBay name: ebay sucks
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dwaugh »

@MI-Cans

Here's another shot that gives a better view of the rack...
Attachments
buck3.jpg
Always looking for

Also: Ruppert, pre-Pro New England trays, New England cones and quarts.
Alaska Chris
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 662
BCCA Number: 30930
eBay name: yukonpokey
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Alaska Chris »

Very Nice Deer dwaugh.....I shot 2 buck in Mecosta county Michigan this year. A 7 pointer and a 8 pointer. Then shot 6 gun clubs at trap and sporting clays . Then went duck hunting on ST. Clare Lake near Troy. Shot Ruddy and Buffelhead ducks before heading home. pic of 8 pointer.
Attachments
101_0072.JPG
Until next time, may your totes always be full of cans and your past and future dumping trips be in your dreams at night.
Alaska Chris
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Alaska Chris »

I collect a patch from each gun club i shoot at. Here is my collection so far. Have more that i didnt add yet from this Michigan trip.
Attachments
103_0247.JPG
Until next time, may your totes always be full of cans and your past and future dumping trips be in your dreams at night.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@Alaska Chris

Nice deer, Chris! Glad you were able to enjoy some of what Michigan has to offer. Hardly think about it anymore but your mention of trap shooting rekindled some old memories. A group of us from work used to get together to shoot trap and socialize. The guy that got us together used to compete in the Grand American in Vandalia, OH. We were no match for him. He enjoyed ribbing us when we missed a bird. It was just a fun get together that lasted a few years.

Looking forward to seeing the Michigan patches added.

Thanks for sharing...

(MI-Cans)
Alaska Chris
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Alaska Chris »

I don't think they shoot at Vandalia anymore. At least the big shoots. There is a facility real close to there called The Cardinal center. It is in Morengo, Ohio. It has 52 trap houses about a half mile long. I shot there last year.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@Alaska Chris
Alaska Chris wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 am I don't think they shoot at Vandalia anymore. At least the big shoots. There is a facility real close to there called The Cardinal center. It is in Morengo, Ohio. It has 52 trap houses about a half mile long. I shot there last year.
I dug this up from the ATA History page - https://shootata.com/About-Us/Grand-Ame ... d-American
Debuting in 1900 at the Interstate Park in Queens, New York, the Grand American was originally a four-day tournament contested in June. For the next 20 plus years the Grand American was staged in cities such as Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus until it made its home in Vandalia, Ohio from 1923 until 2005.

In 2006, the Grand American moved to its new home at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, IL. This state of the art facility features 120 trap fields extending for 3.5 miles making it the worlds largest trap line. To find out more about the WSRC please visit their website.

Since its inception, the Grand American has grown from a mere 20 competitors in 1900 to more than 5,800 participants in 2006. Over the years, the likes of Annie Oakley, Roy Rogers and John Philip Sousa have participated in the Grand American.

In its current format, the Grand American consists of 24 events spanning over an 11 day period. The first 5 days of the tournament are referred to as "Preliminary Days" in which competitors may fine-tune their skills prior to competing in the championship events of "Grand Week."

Not only is the Grand American the largest shooting tournament in the world, but it also offers competitors the opportunity to explore the most advanced products and services in the shooting industry. The WSRC is a spectacular site in itself. With more than 1,000 camping sites, 100+ exhibitors, and thousands of competitors, the Grand is more than a championship. It's a celebration of the sport.

ATA.jpg

(MI-Cans)
Alaska Chris
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Alaska Chris »

Some Michigan patches added, Barry County Conservation Club - Freeland Conservation Club - South Kent Sportsmen Club - Isabella Sportsmen Club - West Walker Sportsman Club - Red Flannel Cedar Springs Rod & Gun Club
Attachments
DSCN2032.JPG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”